Why our Client Made Contact with ST&L:
The Client’s plastic bottle blow-moulding machine had been out of production for 6 months due to their failure of the existing PLC control system which was no longer supported by the machine manufacturer. The machine manufacturer had offered an expensive bespoke control system.
Often with machines which are over 20 years old, the original machine manufacturer either no longer exists or has stopped supporting these models and so the only option available is to purchase a new machine, even though the mechanical function of the one being scrapped is still perfect.
The Client contacted ST&L to assist them with returning the machine back to an operational condition by replacing the obsolete PLC system with a new Siemens PLC.
- Implement a strategy to manage the feasibility of replacing the PLC.
- Liaise with The Client’s operators and production staff to design and develop a solution that minimised the impact to the process.
- Design and manage the installation of the new PLC control system.
- Write, test and commission new PLC software.
ST&L Scope of Works:
ST&L undertook the below list of activities in its attempts to resolve the uncertainties and achieve the technological advancements:
- Initial feasibility study
- Investigation into existing control systems
- Detailed systems design work
- Development of individual system components
- Integration of the system components to create a prototype system
- Testing of the prototype system
- Integration of control technology with the manufacturing hardware
- Extensive testing of the integrated technology
- Re-development of the system where issues were encountered during testing
- Final commissioning and handover.